Squeak Etoys release candidate
30 September, 2009
Timothy Falconer wrote to the squeak-dev mailing list to announce the Squeak Etoys 4 release candidate, in preparation for final release on 21st October.
This release is the product of nine months of work by the Etoys software team, and several weeks of sprinting by Bert Freudenberg, Yoshiki Ohshima, Scott Wallace and Timothy.
The Etoys team are now looking for your input: Timothy says “Please help us test the new Etoys! We want to make sure that it’s rock solid before getting used in schools and homes throughout the world”.
You can download the Etoys 4 release candidate at http://squeakland.org/download under “Release Candidates”.
Highlights of Etoys 4 include:
- loading and sharing projects directly to the central Squeakland Showcase
- fully “license clean”, so that it can be included in Linux distros
- improved toolbar and viewer
- optional drop-down categories for the project info box
- lots of fixes and new translations throughout
Timothy passes on special thanks to everyone who made suggestions or helped the team to test the betas, saying “We’d be nowhere without our community!”