ESUG 2009 wrap up – Best Ever?
8 September, 2009
All the participants should now have safely returned home after a hugely successful ESUG conference. Participants from around the world (including an Argentinian football team) shrugged off the economic climate to spend a week in Brest and share their experiences and aspirations with fellow Smalltalkers.
- Presentations from a range of speakers from industry and research backgrounds, including Cloudfork, DeltaStreams, WebVelocity.
- Tutorials for Seaside, Aida, SqueakNOS, and many, many, more.
- The Innovation Technology Awards, awarded to Retrobjects which is a great C64 emulator, PhidgetLab which uses eToys to interact with real world objects, SqueakNOS: a lightning-fast bootable Squeak image, and Glamour which is a flexible engine for scripting Smalltalk browsers.
- Updates on various Smalltalk platforms: VisualWorks, VA Smalltalk, Object Studio, Gemstone and Pharo.
- And lots of great opportunities to network and socialise, including the inaugural ESUG Blind Date!
Comments on the web have been very positive too:
- “ESUG was a blast, totally.”
- “Definitely the best Smalltalk conference I’ve ever been to.”
- “a great conference”
- “a pleasure to attend every year”
- “fascinating, inspiring and enjoyable”
- “it’s been intense”
With reviews like that, next year’s conference in Barcelona is bound to be a sell-out, so remember to book early!
(Photo from Yuri’s collection)